Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe (Johanniter) is working, in Kenya, with Africa Inland Church Health Ministries (AICHM) and with other partners.
The overall objective of this partnership in Kenya is to reduce mortality and morbidity by improving the health conditions and reducing vulnerability of people. Johanniter’s intervention aims to improve the provision of and access to quality health care, improve nutrition for children under five (5), pregnant and lactating women and other vulnerable people, improve food security and strengthen resilience of vulnerable communities.
The Kenya Country Office also oversees the Zimbabwe program (comprising one project implemented through a local partner) and Djibouti program (comprising two projects directly implemented by JUH).
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
Coordination of all financial processes of Johanniter project activities in Kenya in close collaboration with the Country Director and the Regional Head of Finance, while also providing financial oversight responsibility of the Djibouti and Zimbabwe programs.
The role will be three folds and will include 1- accountancy, treasury management, financial management, project financial management 2- capacity building of the partners as to ensure that they have proper systems in place and 3- conducting regular compliance review exercise of partners financial management. The detailed tasks are defined in the finance processes sheet and globally include:
1- accountancy, treasury management, financial management and project financial management:**
1.1 Accounting and Treasury management
• Complete the accounting cycle for the mission including:
a. Ensure timely and accurate data entries in cashbook, bankbook and SUN System following the standard descriptions defined in Johanniter Finance Procedure Manual;
b. Do reconciliations as required,
c. Verify and coordinate the monthly compilation accounts from each project;
d. Supervise the management of safes and cash: available amount, balance checks, security instructions;
e. Assess monthly cash-flow needs for projects and manage cash transfer requests
f. Manage transfers and payment procedures (bank transfer, cheque, cash etc.);
g. Filling and uploading of documents including vouchers (Johanniter, partners) and monthly financial reports.
1.2 Expenditures, budget control, & general Financial Management
• Confirm budget availability and compliance to Johanniter and donor’s procedures before releasing payments:
• Before commitment / payment of any expenditure, check authorization levels, budget availability, budget line on which the expense is to be allocated to, ensuring full compliance with Johanniter and donors procedures:
• In close coordination with the Logistics Manager, negotiate terms of contracts including payment schedule & taxes obligations; ensure that procurement procedures are adhered to;
• Follow-up commitments and payments
• Ensure financial, compliance & budget control points during Purchase Committee meetings;
• Check that all procurement required documents including orders, quotations/offers, purchase orders, call for tender documentation, procurement memo, contract, invoices, receipts, works/services completion certificates and check the receiver’s ability to endorse payment are attached to process payments;
• budget preparation, amendments for donor funding and OH
• anticipate and mitigate financial risks ensuring that operations are run in a complaint and cost-efficient manner. Taking measures for cost controlling in consultation with the Country Director
• Anticipate financial risks, present budget updates and mitigation plans;
• Analyze and report monthly running costs
• Prevent and report any financial and operational loss
• Plan and conduct field monitoring missions as required;
• Take the lead on preparing and receiving external audit preparation and contribute to the opening/closeout meetings, responses to audit reports, recommendations’ implementation plans,
1.3 project budget and financial management
• Validate partner’s accounting and documentation accuracy and compliance.
• Confirm, develop and/or drafting of project and overhead budgets and budget follow up
• Analyze/report gaps between planned budgets and actual expenses; comply to the flexibility rule;
• Confirm, develop and/or drafting of donor and other reports
• Report immediately if any irregularity or signs of irregularities (fraud, corruption, etc.) noticed
2- capacity building and ensuring that the proper financial systems are in place
• review the systems set up by partners, conduct diagnostic on the systems in place and share with Country Director and partners.
• identify and flag up any major problem with financial management system of a partner which could lead to reconsider partnership and share with both the Country Director and the partners as to define the best way forward.
• jointly agree with the partners on the steps, workplan and timeframe for addressing problems and/or strengthening up the systems
• work closely with the partners in strengthening up the partners’ systems.
3- compliance review of partners documentations
• organize and document regular compliance review exercises of partners systems
Professional Qualification and Experience:
• BSc or MSc degree in Finance, Accounting or related area;
• Registered accountant
• 5+ years of solid experience in financial management in NGO, preferably of large development programs, which can possibly complemented by academic expertise;
• Work experience with German donors (BMZ, AA, etc.) will be an added-advantage.
• Excellent financial and analytical skills;
• Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting on programme financial performance;
• Ability to manage a financial/monitoring team and demonstrate leadership;
• Sense of delegation and commitment to local capacity building
• Proficient user of accountancy and financial software
• Ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management softwares
• Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
Travel to project sites is part of the job
HOW TO APPLY:
The position is open to Kenyan nationals only.
Application shall include:
• Up-to-date CV (3 pages);
• Motivation describing the vision that you would like to bring to the organization;
• A minimum of reference details indicating if the reference was a direct supervisor, a colleague, etc.
• Salary expectation
Applications shall be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do NOT send job certificates at this stage
Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.