For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world’s largest independent child rights organisation, underpinned by a vision in a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Our mission to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children is an organization for talented people with different backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our diversity. We are an equal opportunity organisation dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration. Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children both in their private and professional lives.
The East African Regional Office is responsible for 7 countries in East Africa, including Kenya, Somalia, Uganda, Rwanda, Sudan, South Sudan and Ethiopia, with a current staff complement of approximately 3500 staff, and current expenditure of approximately $200 million each year.
Save the Children East Africa Regional Office (EARO) is looking to recruit for the position of Finance Control Assistant
As part of the regional office support services team you will be responsible supporting effective Finance Administration of the East Africa Regional Office.
The Finance Control Assistant will support EARO Finance Administrative processes including, but not limited to Procurement, Assets and Supplies management, Invoice tracking, Accounting reconciliations and other Finance Administrative duties services required, according to SCI guidelines. The Finance Control Assistant will effectively interact with diverse staff, engage as a member of a team, accept feedback, troubleshoot questions or problems and seek help, supervision and support as needed.
The post holder works closely with administration, logistics and finance colleagues.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Finance Coordinator
Regional Dimensions:The East Africa Regional Office supports over seventy SCI and Save the Children member staff as well a regional programmes unit and regional procurement unit. The support services team provided finance, HR, Administration and IT services to the office.
Staff directly reporting to this post:No
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
• Follows up to ensure that the Procurement trackers are updated on a monthly basis. Verifies the accuracy and correctness of the Procurement tracker, even for purposes of accruals; Follows up on long outstanding items in the Procurement trackers.
• Assists with Asset Inventory Management; Reconciles Agresso Asset Account report with the Asset Register in ensuring accuracy and timely updating of the Asset Inventory.
• Receives and Registers Invoices and Tracks the invoices to ensure timely payments are done.
• Maintains and updates payment calendar of International Staff Benefits, following up with respective staff to ensure timely and correct payments are made.
• Performs Monthly Vendor Reconciliations.
• Prepares Administrative Invoice Authorizations, collaborates with administration and logistics to ensure the highest standard of supporting documentation and proper coding of expenditures.
• Receives Invoice Authorizations from other departments and verifies for accuracy and proper authorization before submitting for payment.
• Assist in Preparation of Payment Vouchers and General Journal Vouchers for authorization and payment.
• Ensures proper support documentation, coding and authorizations before submitting for payment.
• Assist in Preparation of the General Ledger and Cash Offline Spreadsheets (GLACOS), ensuring accuracy in charge codes.
• Assists with Reconciliations – Bank, Single Account and Payroll reconciliations.
• Assist the Finance Department with any other tasks reasonably required.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
• holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, and achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
• sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
• widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
• future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
• builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members, external partners and supporters
• values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
• develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• willing to take disciplined risks
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Undergraduate degree in Administration/finance or equivalent.
• 2 years of work experience working in Admin/accounting role.
• Computer fluency; highly competent using Microsoft Excel.
• Familiarity with computerised accounting systems and payroll software
• Proven ability to prioritise in order to meet deadlines.
• The highest level of integrity and commitment to preventing corruption.
• Interpersonal skills and ability to interact with all departments
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a copy of your CV with a cover letter to EA.firstname.lastname@example.org
Application closes 1st June 2015 at 5:00pm.