Job Grade: C
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director
The Tax Justice Network Africa (TJNA) is a Pan African organisation and member of the Global Alliance for Tax Justice. TJNA aims to promote socially just, accountable and progressive taxation systems in Africa. We advocates for pro-poor taxation systems and the strengthening of tax regimes to promote domestic resource mobilisation. TJNA aims to challenge harmful tax policies and practices that favour the wealthy and those that aggravate and perpetuate inequality.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The position of Policy Assistant is a new role at Tax Justice Network Africa (TJNA) that sits in the Policy and Research Team within Secretariat. This position aims to provide analytical and administrative support to the Policy and Research team. This position will play a critical role in supporting the Policy and Research team achieve its goals and objectives as outlined in TJNA’s Strategic Plan and its annual work-plan. The role will provide support across the four thematic research areas: (i) Extractives; (ii) Fair Equitable Taxation; (iii) Investments; and (iv) International Financial Architecture. This is an evolving role and is geared to developing the analytical, research, and coordination skills of the post-holder. It further encompasses all elements of TJNA’s work and will offer an opportunity for growth within the Team and the Secretariat.
· To support the Policy Leads in primary research and data collection for analysis and production of research outputs e.g. briefs, blogs, working papers, Op-Eds and so on
· To support the Policy Leads in the pulling together literature and reports relevant to TJNA’s thematic areas
· To work with the Policy Leads to develop datasets that inform TJNA’s research and advocacy agenda as per the Annual Work-plan and Strategic Plan
· To work with the Deputy Executive Director on emerging research and policy issues in the Tax Justice and Illicit Financial Flows space in order to inform TJNA positions
· To work with the Deputy Executive Director in the drafting of research, policy positions, and writing pieces for TJNA
· To support the Policy Team in the coordinating and planning of activities with members of the Network pertaining to the thematic areas
· To support the Policy Team in collating data and information required for reporting both internally and for development partners
· To contribute towards periodic reports and planning processes as part of the Policy and Research Team
Common Accountabilities (15% of time)
· Support TJNA colleagues in delivering the organisations collective objectives, including assisting in events and initiatives that fall outside the direct responsibilities of this post;
· Represent TJNA at meetings, functions and events, some of which may occur outside normal office hours and may involve long-distance travel; and
Perform any other reasonable duties and tasks as requested by the Supervisor
KEY ACCOUNTABILITY AREAS
· Policy and Research, and Writing
· Coordinating, Planning, and Reporting
· Common accountabilities
· Degree in a relevant field (Economics, Political Science, Sociology, International Relations, Development Studies).
· Postgraduate qualification would be an added advantage.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES & EXPERIENCE
· At least two years of related work experience in an NGO or CSO working at regional level;
· Work experience in international development, poverty reduction, development economics, tax issues, especially governance, transparency and accountability;
· Stakeholder development and management;
· Research and analytical skills;
· Excellent communication skills both oral and written in English. French is desirable.
· Flexible, creative and strategic thinker;
· Ability to work under pressure;
· Ability to communicate clearly and work cooperatively in a cross-cultural setting with a number of long distance working relationships; and
· Willingness to travel for at least 25% of the time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates who meet the requirements above are requested to submit their detailed CVs alongside a letter of motivation including Salary expectation to the following email address by Wednesday 28th February, 2018 to email@example.com