The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN-Habitat is the lead agency within the United Nations system for the implementation of the Habitat Agenda. UN-Habitat helps the urban poor by transforming cities into safer and healthier places with better opportunities. It works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society and the private sector. This post is located in the Urban Energy Unit of the Urban Basic Services Branch Services.
Cities, being home to more than half of the world’s population, consume 60 to 80 percent of the world’s energy resources and produce 70 percent of the world’s anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions. Hence, cities must play a major role in improving energy efficiency, using resources more carefully, transforming urban energy systems, enhancing energy security and national prosperity – while reducing greenhouse gas emissions. A good understanding of current and projected energy consumption patterns in urban areas as well as their renewable energy generation potentials will provide useful information for urban energy planning. Within this programme, the objective of the focus area on urban energy is to promote approaches, methods, and instruments for promoting sustainable urban energy planning, improving energy efficiency in building, increasing the use of renewable energy technologies, and improving access to clean, reliable, and sustainable energy services in urban areas.
Energy efficiency is one of the most important topics worldwide. Nevertheless, each region has its own specifics, which have to be considered. This is especially important for online Tools that will deliver comprehensive information on energy efficiency and renewable energy for average consumer as well as for municipalities and governments. It is possible to save up to 80% of energy in building by using energy saving measures and passive building design principles. Addressing these issues, the programme “Promoting Urban Energy for climate change in developing countries, has the objective to mainstream Energy Efficiency and renewable energy measures in the delivery of sustainable and friendly built environment.
In order to promote energy conscious building design and energy demand management, as well as to respond to the growing energy needs in Africa, the Programme is looking for a professional to develop a user friendly building energy software that will serve as a design tool as well as a performance tool for house owners.
The tool should be able to provide user with useful tools on energy retrofit of existing building for energy saving as well as designing of new energy efficient buildings. It should also include the tools to design and sizing renewable energy plan such as solar home system.
In order to respond to the needs in East Africa following areas and tools have been defined together to be implemented within a unique building energy software tool:
PV tool for off grid installations
• Solar hot water
• Water supply
Based on these fields of activity the developed software tool must be able to carry out energy performance analysis for following tasks:
• Building Design
• Building Energy Retrofit
• Building Energy Performance Assessment
• Building Energy Certification
The main objective of this Consultancy is:
2. Co-ordinate with UN-Habitat on preparation of the content of the interactive software tool.
3. Data collection.
4. Preparation of the different modules, useful technical materials and tools for sustainable building design in Tropical countries.
5. Develop the first software tool and conduct testing.
6. Incorporate comments received from different users.
7. Develop the final version.
• A unique, interactive, user friendly software tool will be able to carry out energy performance analysis for following purposes:
• Virtual Home Renovation (Retrofitting and renovation)
• Virtual Flat Renovation (Retrofitting to improve the thermal performance of the building)
• Virtual Home Planning (Home design)
• Benchmark Calculator for public buildings and companies (energy performance and auditing)
• Energy Saving Tips (several best practices options)
• Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the area of work; good research, analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to apply judgment in the work environment; the capacity to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
• Communication: Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills, listens and correctly interprets questions and comments from peers and participants, including the ability to draft/edit variety of written texts, documents, reports, correspondences and to articulate ideas in a clear and concise style.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills such as initiative, responsibility, teamwork, flexibility and capacity to work under pressure. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural organization.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• Advanced university degree in one of the following fields: architecture, civil engineering, Computers science or related areas is required. Possession of a post graduate qualification will be an added advantage. **
• At least seven (7) years of experience in:
• training and capacity building
• energy efficiency and sustainable design in buildings,
• development of online training materials and interactive tools; **
Fluency in written and spoken English.
Expertise on Energy Efficiency in Buildings and environmental building construction technologies. Pass experience in designing similar tools will be an asset
See UN website http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/index.html
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications should include:
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
• CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org). Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a Personal History Profile (PHP).
• The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
All applications should be submitted to: Souleymane.Diawara@unhabitat.org
Deadline for applications: 5 May 2017
UN-Habitat does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org