About the organization:
We World (former Intervita) is an Italian-based independent, non-sectarian and nonpartisan organization. It operates in developing countries and its aim is to improve the living conditions of populations in the poorest areas. We World (former Intervita) cooperates in the realization of long-term development Projects in Africa, Asia and South America.
In all its projects and through the involvement of the entire community, We World (former Intervita) operates with the main objective of tackling the causes and consequences of poverty. For this purpose, Education and Health are the priority intervention areas in its fight against the consequences of poverty; whereas the causes of poverty are fought through Food Safety and Economic Development Projects; finally, special care is given in all Projects to Children’s rights, the Environment, Community participation and Equality in general.
We World (former Intervita) works in Kenya since 2010 in collaboration with local partners in Nyamira, Migori, Homabay and Narok areas. The projects are mainly focused on promoting child rights in education and health. A special attention is also paid to woman and girl rights. Actions on advocacy and education for development are also carried out.
An educational project in Nyamira County is due to start in 2015. This intervention focuses on promoting the access to a better quality primary and pre-primary education through a set of various activities including trainings for teachers (in Montessori method, as an example), provision of furniture and learning materials, infrastructural and watsan support, linkages to the healthcare system, and development of school-based income generating activities (IGA).
Within this project, We World (former Intervita) is currently looking for a Programme Officer Infrastructure. His/her mission is to ensure high quality and consistency of all the civil works of the project.
Vacancy Code: FIN/WWIKF/KEN/007/2015
Position: Programme Officer Infrastructure
Start Date: asap
Location: Kisii with frequent missions in project villages (Nyamira County)
Responsibilities and Tasks
• Design and prepare all the technical drawings and plans related to the infrastructures to build and renovate (classrooms, toilets, water harvesting facilities, electrical systems)
• Support the Finance & Administration Manager in the drafting of the BIDs related to the civil works and manage civil works plans
• Choose the construction sites in collaboration with the local authorities, teachers and SMCs
• Supervise, coordinate and monitor all the civil works of the project in the field
• Prepare reports related to civil works
• Ensure that the norms, regulations, and plans are respected
• Perform other related duties as required
Qualification and Experience
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in building design, construction and assessment (especially school facilities)
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture
• Previous experience with NGOs
• Experience in use of engineering/architecture related computer software
• Project Management in any engineering related field or specialization is an asset
• Proficient spoken and written English (spoken Swahili and Kisii is an advantage)
• Proficiency in MS Office applications especially Excel
• Kenyan nationality
• Preferable: driving license (car and motorcycle)
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures
• Proven skills in problem identification and resolution
• Very flexible, patient and with a positive attitude
• Excellent communication skills
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an application letter and CV by email clearly stating in the subject Vacancy No: FIN/WWIKF/KEN/007/2015 to:email@example.com,and attach a recent recommendation letter from one of the last employers.
Specify on the CV the last gross salary received and two references, indicating telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.