*Summary: Develop and assist with implementation of monitoring, evaluation and research conducted by Village Enterprise, including enumerator supervision, staff training, M&E innovations, data management, data analysis, and report writing, working with Village Enterprise team throughout East Africa.*
Employer: Village Enterprise
Industry: Nonprofit/International Development/Social Entrepreneurship
Function: Support field-level Monitoring, Evaluation and Research, assist in all phases of M&E Program
Job Title: Program Associate
Reports to: Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning, Country Director
Job Location: Kitale, Kenya
Duration: Minimum of 2 years, opportunity to extend.
Start Date: ASAP
Village Enterprise is an innovative microenterprise development organization working in East Africa to reduce poverty with the following mission – “To end extreme poverty in rural Africa through entrepreneurship and innovation.” Village Enterprise provides business training, seed capital/start-up funds and mentoring to over 10,000 new entrepreneurs annually to start over 2,000 new businesses each year.
About the Job:
Village Enterprise is seeking a Program Associate who will use his/her expertise to assist with Village Enterprise’s dynamic field-level Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) team and activities. Program areas of involvement include: enumerator supervision, data collection, data cleaning, data analysis, data management, report writing, field visits, training-of-trainers, innovations in monitoring and evaluation tools and methodologies, and design and oversight of special projects. A minimum time commitment of two years is required.
• Data Collection Supervision Role (45% of position duties):
• Manage enumerators in region to successfully carry out data collection for each of three cycles per year plus non-core program data collection. This includes creating schedules, budgets, timelines, and data collection plans, as well training enumerators on surveys or other data collection assignments, monitoring data collection progress, conducting data quality reviews, and collecting feedback from enumerators on behalf of the M&E team;
• Assist with the collection of field-level monitoring data in various villages across Kenya;
• Assist with data entry including core program data, special research and report data, and attendance data;
• Other data collection tasks as assigned
• Monitoring & Evaluation Role (40% of position duties):
• Participate in special project evaluations, and review of M&E tools;
• Assist with creation of innovative tools for monitoring and evaluation and/or refinement of existing tools for monitoring and evaluation;
• Develop monitoring plans for pilot projects in conjunction with the programs team;
• Train staff and enumerators on data collection, interviewing, data entry, data analysis, and other concepts as required for the M&E team;
• Assist with data compilation, data cleaning, data quality assessment, and data analysis;
• Assist in analyzing data, and writing narratives for End of Cycle Performance Evaluation reports;
• Provide weekly reports on data quality;
• Other monitoring and evaluation tasks as assigned.
• Operations Role (15% of position duties):
• Assist in the adaptation, implementation, monitoring, and expansion of the Village Enterprise core program;
• Provide support to senior management team in Uganda and Kenya;
• Train trainers, mentor other employees, and build capacity in country offices;
• Other operations tasks as assigned.
We are looking for someone who can execute specific action items on time, work both independently and as a member of a team, and offer innovative ideas. Ideally we are looking for:
• Degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, International Development, Community Development, Development Studies, Economics, Statistics;
• At least 1.5 years of experience conducting monitoring and evaluation for social impact programming. Preference will be given to those who have experience conducting monitoring and evaluation for “pro poor” programs, and/or community development programs in extremely rural areas;
• Official transcripts/recommendations must be submitted with application.
• Data Collection
o Understanding of the elements of data quality
o Experience collecting data and/or supervising collection of data
• Monitoring and Evaluation Knowledge and Skills
o Proven ability to design monitoring and evaluation plans, including developing theories of change and logical frameworks
o Experience developing indicators
o Understanding of basic methods for data collection (surveys, interviews, performance tests, site visits/observation, focus group discussions, participatory methods, pre-existing data)
o Experience cleaning data
o Basic analysis skills
• Critical Thinking & Technical Skills
o Proficiency with Google Documents, Gmail, and Android applications;
o Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and the entirety of the MS Office suite required;
o Knowledge of/experience with STATA preferred;
o Must be a very strong critical thinker able to identify potential solutions to challenges in new environments;
o Must be able to come up with creative solutions in a short timeline/under pressure.
• Training and Communication Skills
o Demonstrate ability to communicate key concepts to people with less than Level 5 education;
o Show team-building education capacity within the office;
o Explain and discuss key issues with senior management;
o Ability to write clear, concise emails highlighting issues, problems, and key information.
• Work independently and as part of a team
o Experience working effectively in a highly independent capacity – self-managing, taking ownership of goals, and developing work plans and self-deadlines;
o Experience working as part of a diverse team with the ability to work via email, Skype and other Internet-based communications;
o Strong writing and oral communication skills required, as this role will involve report writing and training.
• Language: English fluency required, Kiswahili and Luo preferred
Compensation: Salary Based compensation package
Career development: There is potential for project management experience on the ground in East Africa and significant investment in career development. This is a career-track role in international development and social business, offering significant opportunities for advancement at Village Enterprise and at other organizations working in the fields of monitoring and evaluation, poverty reduction, international development, Micro, Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise (MSME) development, microfinance and social entrepreneurship.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email cover letter, CV and a sample of your data analysis work (a must) to email@example.com with the subject line: “Monitoring and Evaluation Program Associate Application”. While applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, competitive applicants are encouraged to apply by 11th October 2017. Those who had earlier applied need not to reapply.
In your cover letter, please make sure to include where you found the job posting.
Note: Please do not contact Village Enterprise to enquire as to the status of your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.