Background on ACTED
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,300 national staff 300 international staff, ACTED is active in 35 countries and implements more than 450 projects a year reaching over 11 million beneficiaries.
Number of projects
Number of areas
Number of national staff
Annual budget (EUR)
909 485 €
Number of offices
Number of international staff
Position context and key challenges
ACTED launched its Kenya mission in January of 2008 with an emergency assistance program for residents in Nairobi slums affected by the post-election violence. Since 2009, Nairobi has also been the home base of ACTED’s relief operation in South-Central Somalia.
In 2015, ACTED has been delivering emergency as well as long term development programming across the Arid and Semi-Arid Lands and is focussed on Early Warning, Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience interventions. Main activities have included strengthening its Community Managed Disaster Risk Reduction (CMDRR) and improving and integrating community and County Early Warning Systems (EWS). A special emphasis has been placed on its work with the County Governments and the National Drought Management Authority (NDMA) in order to improve coordination, financing, information sharing, dissemination and learning on emergency preparedness and response.
In 2015, ACTED’s operations in Somalia are focused on Food Security, Livelihood, WASH, and Multi-sector Resilience programming. ACTED has the capacity to deliver immediate emergency programming and longer term development, incorporating Social Safety Net and Disaster Risk Reduction components. ACTED is a leading player in the delivery of cash transfers programming.
ACTED’s interventions aim to support those districts which are underserved, difficult to access, and display high levels of vulnerability. ACTED is operational in Bay, Gedo and Lower Juba Regions. In some of these areas, ACTED is the only INGO present and therefore high security risks are experienced because of Al Shabab presence.
Key roles and responsibilities
1. Grant management
1.1 Contract follow-up
1.3 Partner Follow-up
2. Internal Coordination
2.1. Internal Coordination and Communication
3. External Communication
4.1. External Relations
4.2. Contribution to proposal Development
• Postgraduate diploma in International Development and (or) relevant Master’s level degree (anthropology, development studies, humanitarian aid, sociology)
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Proficiency in written and spoken English
• Strong writing abilities and analytical skills
• Skills in political sciences or international relations
• Ability to work efficiently under pressure
• Previous experience in the humanitarian field, proposals development, and donor relations are required
• Previous experience abroad is required
• Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
• Additional monthly living allowance
• Free food and lodging provided at the organization’s guesthouse
• Transportation costs covered, + luggage allowance
• Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your application including cover letter, CV and references to email@example.com under Ref: PDM/KEN