Islamic Relief Worldwide a humanitarian organization working in more than 40 countries is seeking for a talented, self motivated and energetic person to fill the position of “Regional Desk Coordinator”.
The position is based in Kenya with 40% travel to Sudan.
The position will report to Regional Director based in Kenya as well.
To provide support to Islamic relief Sudan office in delivery of effective programmes according to the Country Programme and Regional Strategies and raising profile amongst donors and potential funders.
The position will be responsible to establish;
Regular contact with Country Directors, Programme Managers, Finance Managers and Country Office Management Team members
Engages and networks with institutional donor agencies, IRW Partners, peer organisations, umbrella organisations, forums, networks and other key stakeholders.
Scope and Responsibility:
Reporting to the Regional Director, the Regional Desk Coordinator has the responsibility to ensure that country programmes are implemented and reported on in a timely and of a qualitative manner according to the Country and Regional Programme Strategies, pertinent donor regulations and that the projects are well represented internally and externally. Any issues relating to line management and strategic issues will be referred to the Head of Region. The Regional Desk Coo0rdinator is accountable to fulfil his/her roles and responsibilities in line with IRW’s code of conduct, values and principles.
The role is also responsible for:
Supporting in setting of budgets and monitoring expenditure
Supporting the capacity building of field offices.
Ensuring that all information related to country programmes are organised and accessible
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues and staff.
Key Accountability 1: PROGRAMMES DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
• Keep an up to-date overview of operational matters in respective countries
• Appraise project proposals submitted by field offices to ensure that they have clear sense of purpose and direction and to report any major deviations to the Head of Region
• Assist field offices in producing high-quality project proposals for funding from both IRW and institutional donors through field visits, etc.
• Actively identify potential institutional funding and link up field offices to institutional donors and support in securing funding on behalf of the country programme where necessary
Key Accountability 2: PLANNING & BUDGETING
• Participate in the development of country, regional and global strategy and in policy development based on IR experience in respective Country.
• Assist the CD, Programme Managers and Head of Programmes to draw up and annual action plans and business plans, and monitor implementation of these plans
• Ensure that the country offices submit project, quarterly, annual and external audit reports on time.
• Work with finance staff in the development of project and country budgets
• Work closely with Finance Department to issue pin-codes for new projects, review budgets and provide timely feedback to Finance Managers, and follow up fund transfer requests
Key Accountability 3: REPORTING, ANALYSIS, INNOVATIVE THINKING & PROBLEM-SOLVING
• Review and appraise donors/partners reports submitted by Country Offices to ensure they are of high quality
• Follow up with Country Offices to ensure that donors and partners reports are submitted on time and in correct format.
• Analyse Country Office budgets to ensure value for money and ensure that programme support cost remain reasonable.
• Analyse the security situation and humanitarian space in a country, its implication for IRW capacity and programming, and give recommendations to the Head of Region
• Report major deviation from compliance with directives and policies to the Head of Region. Make recommendations for dealing with these.
• Resolve or report challenges to programme delivery
• Anticipates future requirements and development needs
Key Accountability 4: COMMUNICATION
• Collate and compile reports and produce data which feed into the Annual Report of IRW.
• Communicate with a range of IR partners, institutional and private donors and other international NGOs related to issues concerning respective countries and regarding the implementation of projects.
• Network, advocate and build relationships with people with similar roles/positions in INGOs (e.g. Oxfam, CAFOD), donors (e.g. DFID, ECHO) and UN agencies as requested.
• Work closely with the media department to ensure that the FOs information in internet and websites are up to date (project profiles, case studies, photos, desk filing systems and archiving of documents and reports)
• Assist the Head of Region and the Country Programme team in fundraising efforts to market projects both within Islamic Relief Worldwide partners and externally (in coordination with Islamic Relief Fundraising mechanisms)
Key Accountability 5: MONITORING AND EVALUATION AND QUALITY ASSURANCE
• Undertake field visits to support and facilitate quarterly and annual programme and project reviews and lesson learned workshops to ensure programmes are progressing well, delivering the planned outputs and are having the necessary impact.
• Monitor country office programmatic and administrative systems including IRQMS activities to ensure field offices are operating according to IRW policies and standards
• To assist the Head of Region to undertake risk assessment of field offices and projects and advise on mitigation approaches
• To liaise with IRW finance in ensuring field office annual accounts and programme evaluations are externally audited and necessary actions followed up on
Key Accountability 6: Other
• Travel to IRW Country/Field Offices commensurate with the amount of work needed with a ToR approved by the Head of Region and shared with the CD prior to commencement of the field mission.
• Carry out, where possible, any other duties of IRW surge capacity that is in line with the job purpose as requested by the line-manager.
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to IRW’s vision and mission.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
• A graduate degree, equivalent or above and experience in development/humanitarian areas
• An in-depth understanding of international development issues
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
Proven track record of working in a similar role with an International NGO or the successful completion of a one year trainee programme for this role.
Proven track record of field work experience with INGOs in developing countries in rehabilitation; development and emergency contexts, preferably in a country of the targeted region
Experience of successfully fundraising and dealing with institutional donors and international donors Experience of and commitment to a participatory, supportive, open environment to ensure the learning and development of all.
Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation of programmes; use of quantitative and qualitative research data collection in support of programme development.
Proven experience and knowledge of effective budgetary control and grant management.
Strong and well developed analytical skills coupled with experience of writing quality proposals and reports
Experience of distance management
• Good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, sensitivity to others’ views and perspectives, and conflict resolution.
• Problem solving skills
• Culturally sensitive
• Able to work with the most vulnerable groups including women and children,
• Good team work skills with the ability to work with different and sometime conflicting agendas
• Excellent written and spoken English
• Written and spoken command of regional languages
• Abide by IRW Code of Conduct and other related Codes of Conduct.
• Willingness to travel at very short notice.
• Experience of organisational development
• Experience of working on emergency and/or disaster preparedness programmes in developing countries
• Experience of a specialised area e.g. livelihoods projects, WATSAN, Nutrition etc
• Experience of advocacy and communications work.
• Ability to analyse and assess complex situations and develop policies.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply with confidence and send your latest and updated CV along with two referees from your recent employment.
Send your CV, Educational documents and experience certificates to the following email;
Last date to receive applications is 22nd of August 2017