The Senior Operations Officer will liaise closely with Mercy Corps’ Procurement Administration and Logistics Management (PALM) team with regard to the full implementation of standard Mercy Corps policies and procedures. A heavy emphasis is placed on the training and supporting staff within the administration and logistics departments and in field offices. The Senior Operations Officer will oversee all administrative and logistics support functions for the Mercy Corps Kenya field offices.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Senior Operations Officer will manage all administrative and logistics support functions for the Mercy Corps program in Kenya. The successful candidate is expected to travel 50% of his/her time to field offices and to program implementation sites to strengthen the skills of logistics and procurement staff and ensure compliance with Mercy Corps systems.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Provide operational support, coordination, supervision and monitoring activities designed to meet program objectives;
2. Develop, implement and manage relevant Mercy Corps operations systems and policies for field offices in Kenya;
3. Advise and support the development and management of systems in Kenya, for full integration with Mercy Corps systems. This will require close coaching and training of field staff;
4. Work with Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and operation of necessary systems, including travel to field offices in order to provide hands-on practical training to staff;
5. The Senior Operations Officer will be responsible for the management of all administration and logistics functions and for the full and proper implementation of Mercy Corps systems of management, compliance and control with regard to the following:
Disciplines covered under administration are:
• Facilities Management
• Office Management
• Travel Coordination
• Information Technology
Disciplines covered under logistics are:
• Fleet Management
• Asset Management
• Communications (Equipment)
C. Security Management
1. Oversee the Administration Coordinator and ensure duties are being effectively and efficiently carried out and processes are well documented as per Mercy Corps policies and procedures;
2. Supervise the Procurement and Logistics Assistant in Nairobi and provide oversight to the procurement process including use of paperwork. Ensure procurement files, including on-going and PR Master lists, are well maintained and orderly and up to date systematically in hard and electronic forms;
3. Ensure staff are in compliance with Mercy Corps’ Field Asset Management Manual for asset management procedures. Ensure maintenance of proper inventory of all equipment and fittings belonging to Mercy Corps program in Kenya with special attention to Nairobi. Monitor and implement asset tracking system including use of asset tags, movement of assets, disposal of assets and update asset registry both manually and electronically including proper registration of newly purchased assets. Coordinate with Administration and IT to ensure the tracking of assets including those assigned to staff;
4. Assist as required the Country Director and Regional Security Advisor in: maintaining and advising on appropriate security systems and procedures and ensure all staff adheres to these procedures, updating Mercy Corps Security Country or Regional-specific plans, facilitate Security Management Team meetings in Nairobi and ensure information is disseminated to all staff, with the Country Director and the Security Advisor being kept informed;
5. Provide a security briefing to all new staff (advising on current security phase of MC Kenya offices and Nairobi County), brief guards and drivers on any immediate security threats and provide training as necessary, facilitate any incident reporting requirements as required, maintain a filing system and ensure Security Focal Point(s) have access to files and completed forms (this includes work –related injuries);
6. Assist Country Director as required, in developing contingency strategies to continue work in times of heightened security. Update each MC Kenya office security plans, security tree and constant companion, contact security assessments for new offices. Represent Mercy Corps, as advised by supervisor, to local governments and authorities and at routine security meetings/briefings in Kenya;
7. Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
8. Other duties as assigned.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
• Administration Coordinator – Nairobi
• Procurement and Logistics Officer – Nairobi
• Procurement and Logistics Assistant – Nairobi
• IT Consultant – Nairobi
All Mercy Corps field operations manuals, the Kenya National Staff Policy Handbook and the Kenya Security Management Manual
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Kenya Country Director
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: The Program and Finance teams.
The Senior Operations Officer assumes a strong dotted line of technical support to all Operations staff within Kenya. This is to ensure effective coaching, training of team members on Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain Management discipline, business administration, public administration, commerce or related field or a Master degree is an added advantage.
• Additional professional qualification and certification as a Certified Procurement and Supply Professional of Kenya (CPSP – K) or equivalent certification from a recognized institution is required;
• Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in operational coordination and support functions with an international non-governmental organization or in the private sector;
• Experience in overseeing procurement and logistics operations and systems;
• Demonstrated experience in setting up and managing complex administration and operational systems;
• Minimum of 2 years of experience leading teams in humanitarian assistance and development field;
• Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies;
• Excellent negotiation, representation, skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff;
• Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and computer skills in Microsoft Office applications are required;
• Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
• Proven records of successful training and capacity building of staff;
• Knowledge of Mercy Corps systems and procedures (particularly Mercy Corps procurement systems) is desirable;
• Ability and willingness to travel to unstable areas of Kenya and operate comfortably in these areas.
Ability to maintain high integrity in performing assigned responsibilities, excellent problem solving skills, and ability to act as intermediary between program and operations staff to ensure smooth process flow while maintaining a balance between program implementation and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a Cover Letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae and three professional referees (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 18th September 2017.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title and location they are applying for.
Applications without an appropriate subject line will be automatically disqualified. Please do not attach any certificates.