Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development. ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the below position in Nairobi Kenya.
Technical Advisor-DRR/EW and Livelihood
ACTED and Adeso established the STREAM Consortium in 2013 to go beyond short-term crisis response and focus on building community capacity and strengthening household livelihoods to withstand shocks through social protection. The consortium has received funding from donors in the last two years and is starting a 3 year large scale project in Lower Juba.
The STREAM consortium seeks to improve management of cyclic shocks, through community managed disaster risk reduction and use of early warning information for timely response in Lower Juba-South Central Somalia as funded by the EU. The technical advisor will contribute to the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the DRR, EW and livelihood component of the STREAM Consortium while ensuring that project objectives are met in a timely, accountable and quality manner.
On Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR)
• Be the technical focal point for DRR;
• Provide technical assistance, strategic leadership and direction to the Consortium partners to design, implement and evaluate programmes around Disaster Risk Reduction in their areas of intervention in line with approved policies and international best practices aimed at ensuring effective and efficient use of resources
• Co-ordinate with the consortium partners to deliver the implementation of Community Managed Disaster Risk Reduction (CMDRR) activities;
• Contribute to the strengthening of knowledge management in DRM by: attending partnership meetings; providing technical advice on project issues; monitoring the achievement of project milestones
• Support the community mobilization for Community Based Disaster Management;
• Support the communities to create linkages for the implementation of their Community Disaster Management Plans (CDMPs);
• Develop, maintain and improve work coordination with the consortium partners to ensure successful implementation of project activities;
• Provide capacity building and Training for DRR
On Early Warning (EW)
• Be the technical focal point for EW;
• Provide technical assistance to the Consortium partners for the implementation of EW activities in their areas of intervention;
• In coordination with the regional and federal government of Somalia guide and assist on the implementation of EW activities;
• Develop a strong expertise of the risks and potential emergency situation in the Lower Juba region.
• Provide capacity building, training and guidance on development of early warning systems to community level
• Ensure the preparation of contingency planning based on the early warning information or the DRM plan.
• Assist in developing policies and programs that improve and enhance the collection and analysis of early warning data, and the development of response recommendations.
• Provide overall support, coordination and management of the livelihood component of the project.
• Liaise with other NGOS, Consortia, relevant Government agencies to ensure good coordination, avoid duplication, share lessons and good practices for maximizing impact
• Review and consolidate project reports.
• Produce capitalization, good practices and lessons learnt reports;
• Represent the consortium in the different working groups on DRR, EW and Livelihood;
• Any other task assigned by the supervisor
Participate in all other project activities as a Technical Advisor Early Warning/CMDRR portfolio evolves.
• Masters/Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Development studies, Social science or other relevant discipline
• At least relevant experience of 5 years
• Specific sector experience in DRR / EW
• Very good understanding of social protection and livelihoods
• Experience in communication with external actors, partners and donors
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
• Experience in assessment and monitoring
• Good inter-personal skills, commitment and motivation
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Fluency in written and spoken Somali is an asset **
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified Kenya/Somalia persons with the required skills and qualifications are invited to submit their detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and* *received on or before 8th December 2017 with the subject line “Application for Technical Advisor-DRR/EW and Livelihood”. Applications sent after the deadline will not be considered.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
a) Shortlisting will be done on rolling basis.
b) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
c) ACTED has right to hire before the stated deadline.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments. ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer